Andrew R Brownstein

Andrew R Brownstein
Office:
51 West 52nd Street
10019
City:
New York
State:
New York
Country:
USA
Tel:
+1 212 403 1233
Fax:
+1 212 403 2233

Biographies:

Who's Who Legal Corporate: Merger & Acquisition

Andrew R Brownstein has been a partner at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz since 1985 and serves as co-chair of the firm’s corporate group. His practice concentrates on mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance matters, and he has been engaged in many high-profile matters that include cross-border transactions, leveraged buyouts, complex restructuring deals, proxy fights and takeovers. Mr Brownstein is consistently listed in the top ranks in his areas of expertise by the Chambers Guide, Who’s Who Legal and other similar publications.

Mr Brownstein's significant representations include: Hewlett Packard in its separation into two new publicly traded Fortune 50 companies; Perrigo in its defence against a takeover bid by Mylan; Samsung C&T in its merger with Cheil Industries and its response to an activist campaign by Elliott Management; Johnson Controls in its merger with Tyco and the separation of its automotive business; Sotheby’s in responding to an activist campaign by Third Point; Walgreen Co. in its entry into a long-term partnership with Alliance Boots and AmerisourceBergen, its acquisition of a 45 per cent stake in Alliance Boots GmbH and its later acquisition of the remaining 55%, for an aggregate value of approximately $27 billion; ConocoPhillips in its $33 billion spin-off of its downstream businesses as Phillips 66 and in its $35.6 billion acquisition of Burlington Resources, as well as Phillips Petroleum in its $35 billion combination with Conoco; Forest Laboratories in successive proxy contests with Carl Icahn and in its $25 billion merger with Actavis; Genzyme in its $20 billion sale to Sanofi-Aventis; Novartis in its $49.7 billion multistep acquisition of Alcon; Schering-Plough in its $41 billion combination with Merck and its $14 billion acquisition of Organon; and BEA Systems in responding to an activist campaign by Carl Icahn and in its merger with Oracle.  

Mr Brownstein is a 1979 honours graduate of Harvard Law School where he was an articles editor of the Harvard Law Review. He holds an MBA degree (1976) from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and also has undergraduate degrees in English and economics (1975) from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Following law school, Mr Brownstein clerked for the Honorable Leonard I. Garth of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.

Mr Brownstein is a frequent author and lecturer on corporate-related topics. He has been an adjunct professor of securities law at Rutgers University Law School, serves on the executive planning committee and is past chairman of the Ray Garrett Jr Corporate and Securities Law Institute at Northwestern University School of Law.

Mr Brownstein is active in numerous civic and charitable organisations and is a member and past president of the board of trustees of the Trinity School in New York City, a member of the board of overseers of the Annenberg Center at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the board of directors of the New York City Public Art Fund.

WWL says: Andrew Brownstein is well known in the US market for his broad expertise spanning cross-border transactions, buyouts and corporate restructurings.

This biography is an extract from Who's Who Legal: Corporate which can be purchased from our Shop.

Who's Who Legal Corporate: Corporate Governance

Andrew R Brownstein has been a partner at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz since 1985 and serves as co-chair of the firm’s corporate group. His practice concentrates on mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance matters, and he has been engaged in many high-profile matters that include cross-border transactions, leveraged buyouts, complex restructuring deals, proxy fights and takeovers. Mr Brownstein is consistently listed in the top ranks in his areas of expertise by the Chambers Guide, Who’s Who Legal and other similar publications.

Mr Brownstein's significant representations include: Hewlett Packard in its separation into two new publicly traded Fortune 50 companies; Perrigo in its defence against a takeover bid by Mylan; Samsung C&T in its merger with Cheil Industries and its response to an activist campaign by Elliott Management; Johnson Controls in its merger with Tyco and the separation of its automotive business; Sotheby’s in responding to an activist campaign by Third Point; Walgreen Co. in its entry into a long-term partnership with Alliance Boots and AmerisourceBergen, its acquisition of a 45 per cent stake in Alliance Boots GmbH and its later acquisition of the remaining 55 per cent, for an aggregate value of approximately $27 billion; ConocoPhillips in its $33 billion spin-off of its downstream businesses as Phillips 66 and in its $35.6 billion acquisition of Burlington Resources, as well as Phillips Petroleum in its $35 billion combination with Conoco; Forest Laboratories in successive proxy contests with Carl Icahn and in its $25 billion merger with Actavis; Genzyme in its $20 billion sale to Sanofi-Aventis; Novartis in its $49.7 billion multistep acquisition of Alcon; Schering-Plough in its $41 billion combination with Merck and its $14 billion acquisition of Organon; and BEA Systems in responding to an activist campaign by Carl Icahn and in its merger with Oracle.  

Mr Brownstein is a 1979 honours graduate of Harvard Law School where he was an articles editor of the Harvard Law Review. He holds an MBA degree (1976) from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and also has undergraduate degrees in English and economics (1975) from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Following law school, Mr Brownstein clerked for the Honorable Leonard I Garth of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.

Mr Brownstein is a frequent author and lecturer on corporate-related topics. He has been an adjunct professor of securities law at Rutgers University Law School, serves on the executive planning committee and is past chairman of the Ray Garrett Jr Corporate and Securities Law Institute at Northwestern University School of Law.

Mr Brownstein is active in numerous civic and charitable organisations and is a member and past president of the board of trustees of the Trinity School in New York City, a member of the board of overseers of the Annenberg Center at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the board of directors of the New York City Public Art Fund.

WWL says: Andrew Brownstein gains recognition from peers and clients alike for his superb work advising on a range of governance matters including activist campaigns.

This biography is an extract from Who's Who Legal: Corporate which can be purchased from our Shop.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Practice Areas

Firms

Browse Firms

Search Firms

The Who's Who Legal 100

Awards

News & Features

Special Reports

Events

Shop

About Us

It is not possible to buy entry into any Who's Who Legal publication

Nominees have been selected based upon comprehensive, independent survey work with both general counsel and private practice lawyers worldwide. Only specialists who have met independent international research criteria are listed.

Copyright © 2019 Law Business Research Ltd. All rights reserved. | http://www.lbresearch.com

87 Lancaster Road, London, W11 1QQ, UK | Tel: +44 20 7908 1180 / Fax: +44 207 229 6910

http://www.whoswholegal.com | editorial@whoswholegal.com

Law Business Research Ltd

87 Lancaster Road, London
W11 1QQ, UK