Licks Attorneys is a Brazilian law firm with offices in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia and Tokyo. The firm offers a comprehensive range of legal services related to the development, deployment and use of technology and fact patterns, including complex litigation, strategic counselling, policy-making, IP prosecution and regulatory services.
Licks Attorneys has a motivated and multilingual team, with the background and capabilities to advise companies of all sizes from across the world. We have a number of foreign-trained attorneys and partners – some of whom have more than 20 years’ experience in foreign affairs. The firm has been growing steadily, while expanding into new areas of practice. We aggressively invest in technical and human resources to provide a unique blend of technical and legal expertise, which competitors are unable to match. We aim to have the broadest licensing and litigation teams, and can offer the complete range of services involving the acquisition, enforcement and licensing of IP rights in Brazil.
Our client portfolio includes Fortune 100 companies as well as several multinationals. We represent the highest number of clients in cases against the Brazilian Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA), while mainly advising the international pharmaceutical industry. As a team, we are also proud of our contribution to Brazilian IP law. We work hard to present challenges that make significant changes to the interpretation of such laws – changes that, while helping one client at a time, give rise to positive consequences for countless others.
In addition, Licks Attorneys:
- is the largest food and drug law litigation practice in Brazil;
- is the first firm to file a lawsuit against the ANVISA, in the same year the agency was established;
- is the largest medical device patent litigation practice in Brazil;
- is the only firm to have invalidated Partnership for Productive Development Programme (PDP) projects before courts;
- is the only firm that signs PDP projects on behalf of clients;
- is the largest 229-C patent litigation practice in Brazil to have a 100 per cent success rate;
- is the largest telecoms patent litigation practice in Brazil;
- handled the first litigation in Brazil under the Marco Civil Internet Law;
- has leading litigation teams specialising in mobile applications;
- has handled some of the most important internet applications lawsuits in recent years in Brazil;
- has extensive experience negotiating on behalf of IT clients in state and federal prosecutor office investigations; and
- has a patent litigation practice with a top rate of injunctions granted in infringement cases and an outstanding track record in asserting and invalidating patents.
Our litigation and prosecution team can provide clients with the full range of services, including on matters relating to:
- licensing and technology transfer;
- unfair competition;
- plant varieties;
- internet rights, e-commerce and software;
- antitrust and competition law;
- government contracts and tenders;
- food and drug law; and
- litigation and dispute resolution.
- trademarks, trade dress, and publicity rights.