INTRODUCTION TO LAWJAY PARTNERS
Lawjay is a specialised Chinese IP firm established in Beijing in 1998. The firm provides all kinds of contentious and non-contentious legal services including advising on intellectual property (IP), corporate, commercial and other civil disputes in China. In 2012, Lawjay was nominated by Chambers & Partners for Boutique PRC Law Firm of the Year, the only IP firm to be nominated in that category.
Having unrivalled experience in IP litigation in China, the firm has represented numerous foreign multinationals before Chinese courts. Lawjay’s team is composed of bilingual professionals including four partners and two senior consultants who are licensed Chinese lawyers. The team consists of specialists having industry expertise in the electronics, luxury goods and services, IT, telecommunications, sports and pharmaceutical sectors.
Lawjay works collaboratively with Bird & Bird Hong Kong through an association approved by the Beijing Justice Bureau. We draw on the expertise of international firms that have experience in China-related work.
We invest in long-term relationships with our clients and we fully understand the legal issues surrounding them, which helps us to serve our clients more efficiently and cost-effectively. We are able to accommodate time differences and make ourselves readily available to answer our clients’ questions.
OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW PRACTICE
Lawjay specialises in IP and dispute resolution work. The firm provides all kinds of legal services concerned with trademarks, patents, copyright, unfair competition, trade secrets, domain names and plant varieties, and commercial litigation.
CONTENTIOUS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LEGAL SERVICES
Partners and associates at the law firm are qualified to appear before Chinese courts to undertake IP litigation. We have unrivalled experience in intellectual property litigation including:
- trademark infringement;
- copyright infringement;
- unfair competition (including trade name disputes) ;
- trade secret infringement;
- domain name disputes;
- damages inquiries;
- preliminary injunctions;
- licence disputes; and
- ADR in all kinds of intellectual property disputes.
- In addition, the firm also handles commercial disputes.
NON-CONTENTIOUS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LEGAL SERVICES
We have extensive experience in advising clients on commercial transactions involving IP, including:
- advising on intellectual property strategies;
- representing for acquisition of ownership of IP, including applications and registrations;
- intellectual property licensing;
- regulatory matters; and
- intellectual property auditing and due diligence.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ENFORCEMENT IN CHINA
We work with clients and their agents to implement a comprehensive IP enforcement programme. Our work includes:
- providing advice and support on overall strategy, including separation of high-level infringers from low level infringers; advising on the level of enforcement merited;
- conducting surveys and market sweeps to find which infringers require special treatment in the form of, for example, criminal prosecutions, local protectionism cases or judicial actions in the People's Court;
- managing in-depth investigations, liaising with the relevant administrative and criminal enforcement agencies for administrative and criminal raids;
- attending raid actions where the target requires high-level involvement, eg, criminal prosecution or high-profile civil proceedings;
- representing clients in civil and criminal actions, preparing litigation strategy and applying for preliminary injunctions, assets preservation and/or evidence preservation;
- carrying out informal actions in the form of sending cease and desist letters;
- assisting with customs enforcement, eg, applying to the General Administration of Customs for IP recordals, applying to seize infringing products, coordinating fake verification, seeking transfer of cases to the police for criminal investigation, etc; and
- carrying out intellectual property audits in China for clients to identify "blind spots" in their portfolios that require immediate attention.
QUALITY OF OUR WORK
Quality is Lawjay’s focus. We try our best to satisfy clients' requirements to the greatest extent we can. We aim to ensure that our clients receive the best possible legal advice, and that this is delivered on time. We provide practical and commercial advice without sacrificing accuracy.
818, China World Office Tower 1
1 Jianguomenwai Avenue
Chaoyang District, Beijing 100004 China
Tel: +86 10 5933 5500
Fax: +86 10 5933 5501