Adam O Emmerich practices in Wachtell Lipton's corporate department, focusing primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and securities law matters. His practice has included a broad and varied representation of public and private corporations and other entities in a variety of industries throughout the United States and globally, in connection with mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, joint ventures and financing transactions. He also has extensive experience in takeover defense.
Adam led the Wachtell Lipton teams for Tim Hortons in its $12.2 billion combination with Burger King Worldwide and Covidien plc in its $49.9 billion acquisition by Medtronic, which were named by The American Lawyer as 2015 Global M&A Deal of the Year: Canada and Global M&A Deal of the Year: Ireland.
Adam is recognised as one of the 500 leading lawyers in America by Lawdragon, one of the world’s leading lawyers in the field of mergers and acquisitions by Chambers & Partners, an expert M&A and corporate governance in the real estate field by Who's Who Legal, and as an expert both in M&A and in corporate governance by Euromoney Institutional Investor’s Expert Guides.
Among the other transactions in which he has taken a leading role are: Deutsche Telekom in its agreed $39 billion sale of T-Mobile to AT&T and Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile USA in the combination of T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS Communications at a $30 billion enterprise valuation; and Iscar / IMC International Metalworking Companies B.V. and the Wertheimer family in the acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway of an 80% interest in Iscar at a $5 billion enterprise value, and in Berkshire Hathaway’s subsequent $2.05 billion purchase of the remaining 20% interest.
After serving as a law clerk to Judge Abner J. Mikva, of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Adam joined the firm in 1986 and was named partner in 1991. He attended Swarthmore College and The University of Chicago, from which he received his J.D. with honors. While at the University of Chicago, Adam served as topics and comments editor of The University of Chicago Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and was the recipient of an Olin Fellowship in law and economics. He is a frequent author and speaker on topics relating to mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance, including at MIT’s Sloan Convocation and on India’s CNBC-TV18.
Adam is co-chair of the International Institute for the Study of Cross-Border M&A, co-chair of the advisory board of New York University’s REIT Center for the Study of Public Real Estate Companies, and a member of the American Law Institute. He has served as co-chair of the NYU Real Estate Institute’s Annual Symposium on REITs since its inception. He is a member of the corporate academic bridge group of the NYU Pollack Center for Law & Business, and a frequent contributor to the Harvard Law School forum on corporate governance and financial regulation. Adam serves on the board of the American Friends of the Israel Museum, and as president of the Friends of the Israel Antiquities Authority and also of the Friends of Rambam Medical Center.
Adam lives in Manhattan with his wife, two daughters and son.
WWL says: Sources call Adam Emmerich "a star" and a "top man" for major transactions.
This biography is an extract from Who's Who Legal: Corporate which can be purchased from our Shop.